Thursday, July 8, 2010

Someone pinch me

So I figured it was time for my $0.02 on our big news. Is this really happening? Did we really just get our TA? WOW! First and foremost, I wish I hadn't been in San Jose for work when the call we've been waiting for 4069 years (or so it seems) came in but as luck would have it I was. To make it worse, I was on a conference call and saw Julie stalker-dialing my cell phone and then lighting it up with text messages. She's gotten very proficient at getting my attention when she needs to regardless of what I am doing. :) Needless to say it was weird to be sitting in a cube in Building 6 on a conference call with tears running down my face - thank God it wasn't a video call. LOL! That'd have been fun to discuss. We bounced texts back and forth also meaning my attention to the call was less than 100% but I figure I have a good excuse. After the initial shock was over the planner in me started searching for airfares and investigating options - no time for crying, we've got a trip to go half way around the world to pick up our son to plan! Thankfully the customer meeting we were supposed to have was cancelled and my co-workers pushed me to go to dinner with them rather than hang in the hotel room and hit kayak.com, cheapoair.com and anyplace in between with OCD fervor.
Flying home yesterday/today (flying west to east sucks for the record and the red eye is not a ton of fun) I couldn't help but think that I'd be back on a plane in a few weeks but instead of the usual suspect airports (IAD, RDU, DEN, SJC, SFO) we'd be on our way to PEK (Beijing!) How totally awesome is that?! Sleep didn't come easy on the plane when all I wanted to do was validate how many flier miles we might be able to use on our China trip to cut costs, what the weather would be like, how much we'll stand out - Godzilla, a hot lady and three adorable kiddos at the start and finally adding Lil Bubba part way through. Just blows my mind.
I can't wait to get home and see my family - it was hard to focus on an all day meeting with our customer even though it was on a topic I am passionate about (Data Centers - how's that for uber-nerdy?). I couldn't get out of there fast enough to start the journey home. I am in Washington DC right now but in a few more hours I'll be home.
Please pray that we get our consulate appointment so we can book travel and get the show on the road - we've got a little boy to go get and smother with love. I bet he likes Formula 1 racing - he looks like he does in his pictures. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Let the final planning stage begin!!!
    As far as the standing out in a crowd with three kids the answer is YES! YES! YES! you will. I can't even begin to count how many photo albums in China must have pictures of my children in them!
    Have fun with all those plans;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such wonderful news...you will have your little one sooo soon!!!

    ReplyDelete