Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Down and then up

One of the things people who know me realize is that I don't like to have my time wasted. Nobody does, but my tolerance for this is incredibly low - we all have our things to improve upon don't we? While sitting at work feeling pretty rough from a cold or whatever pestilence I have I received an email from Julie that the doctor's office called and needed to know what doctor I saw when I had a hematoma in 2005. While this is quite a reasonable request the kicker is that it has been two weeks since I saw them, explained the forms and they took ownership of getting the history completed. These are two more weeks we'll have to wait to get Lil Bubba. I know this is all part of the fun of the paper chase, but the lack of a sense of urgency just validates my disdain for doctors. Bad attitude I know, but it is what it is.
I did what any geek would do and used Google to see if I could find the name of the practice where the neurologist I saw worked. I found a likely hit, called and after they kindly searched multiple databases was told they didn't know who I was. I decided to call the hospital where they performed the angiogram and see if their medical records people could help me. I called and as a co-worker predicted was given the proverbial Heisman in the name of HIPPA regulations. I was told I needed to mail, via snail mail, a letter requesting the information I needed. A fax would not do for some reason. If a fax is good enough to stand up in court it should be good enough for the medical profession but it isn't. With my blood pressure higher than I'd like it to be I packed up from work and went home.
After dinner and venting a bit, I decided to call medical records and get their mailing address and was surprised that someone answered the phone. I explained the situation and 5 minutes later had the information I needed and will call my doctor's office tomorrow and let them know who to call to get my records. What a goat rodeo! Thank goodness for the kind soul working in medical records who saved us at least a week by supplying the name of my doctor.

On a positive note, I had my review today and did well so at least I am good at something. :) I hope I know what I am doing! LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment