Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Mom's Day (from a daughter's point-of-view)

I know...I know, I am a little late for Mother's Day. However, it is always good to show our gratitude for our moms, right? First, I want to thank my mom for always being there for me. She is a wonderful mom and grandma. Now that I am a mom myself, I have so much appreciation and gratitude for all that she did for us as we were growing up (and now too) and I am so sorry for all the times that Janet and I fought and misbehaved. Again, as a mom myself, I really feel bad for all those times. I have to laugh though because I think one of her favorite stories to tell is how Janet and I would fight and fight until Mom lost it. Then, Janet and I would go off to play as if nothing ever happened. Now, I know why she would be so grouchy.

I, also, have a new appreciation for secret pleasures. Mom told me once that when she was out and about by herself she would sneak an ice cream cone and how nice it was to have that on her own and not have to share or buy anyone else one. WHAT? (as Veronica would say...ha!) I felt so betrayed years ago when she told me that. How could that make her happy? I just did not understand. Oh, boy! Now, I get it. Trust me...there are goodies hidden in our house now that are just for Mommy. :)

Another fun story to tell is the time that my mom jumped into a dumpster for me. Who else would do that for me? Okay, so Ron has dug through a dumpster for me too. (This says something...something not so good...about me, I guess. Oh, well. Ha!) Same reason...years apart. Both times I had lost my ring. With Mom, (long story short) I had lost my engagement ring. All we could figure out was that I had lost it in the trash at the school I was teaching at the time. God bless my mom as she hopped right in the dumpster at the school and started going bag by bag to find the ones that would have been from my class. No ring. We found it though. Wanna know where it was? At home, on a shelf in my bathroom. Oops! At some point, I had taken it off. In my defense, I was not feeling well at the time. Yep, my wonderful mom had gone into the dumpster for no reason. Sorry Mom!!!!

(Ron's experience was very similar. My ring flew off into a recycling bin when we were trying to do good by our earth. He dug around for awhile and found it close to the opening. Thank God! Also, thank God, he did not have to climb in! Sorry Ron!!!!)

I have a wonderful mother-in-law too. She is always there for us and always eager to help out as needed. I thank her for her part in making Ron the wonderful man that he is. She is a terrific "Ma" to our kiddos too.

Thank you to these two beautiful women who are such an inspiration to us.

1 comment:

  1. Wait - I am still stuck on the fact mom got ice cream without us?! lol

    ReplyDelete