Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Christmas and other updates

All is well here. We had a wonderful Christmas. We host both sides of the family at our house. My side comes over on Christmas Eve and Ron's side comes over on Christmas Day. Well, between my mom feeling under the weather and Emerson just having gotten out of the hospital, we thought we would have to postpone our Christmas Eve get together. That all changed and we threw together an impromptu celebration. It all worked out in the end; but, I am not one to be sporadic like that. Being a teacher, I like things well planned out. I write all my PSR/Sunday school lessons, my Daisy Scout meetings, even the children's birthday parties in lesson plan format. :) So, when my mom, sister, and I started phoning one another back and forth on Christmas Eve, it became apparent that we had some miscommunication along the line somewhere in the prior days. Let's just say, I was running around, throwing on make-up, and presentable clothing (prior to this I had been in my pj's), pulling out any ready made munchy items we had (and bumming that I did not have time to put together all the dips, salads, etc. that I had planned), and in general trying to get in the mood. We did it! Mom, of course, had food galore that she brought. We all enjoyed spending time together which is the most important thing anyways and got a kick out of watching all the children open their gifts.

Christmas morning brought much torture. You heard me correctly. This is a tradition that started years ago when I was the child waiting, not so patiently, to see what goodies await me under the tree and in my stocking. My parents tortured my sister and me with having to let out our dog, make coffee, etc...any stall tactic they could come up with. Now, as the parent, it is my turn. It is fun. :) It builds even more anticipation for them. I love watching our children on Christmas morning.

That evening, Ron's side joined us for more family time, food (lots of it), and fun. It is always nice to just sit around and enjoy one another's company.

Over all Emerson had a great first Christmas at home. There were only a couple of times that he seemed a tad overwhelmed. We all get that way though, do we not?! It was difficult to have to feed him stage 2 Emerson food (We are trying to not call it baby food for his sake.) while the rest of us were indulging in such delicious feasts. You know though, he has done so well with it.

Emerson just cracks us up. He is SOOOOOOOO darn smart. He is suppose to wear "welcome sleeves" to keep him from messing with his mouth. We only put them on when he takes a nap or goes to bed at night. He is very good about putting them on; but, as soon as we leave the room, he must start working his way out of them. One day, I walked in his room and he did not see me. I saw that he was scratching his face. Obviously, this meant he had taken the sleeve off. He looked up, saw me, and slipped his little arm back in that brace. Little stinker!!!! Gotta love him. :) This Thursday he will go in for his follow-up from the surgery. Hopefully, he will not have to wear those anymore and we are hoping he can go back to regular big boy food.

Sydney started cheerleading practice last Thursday. So cute!!!! Max and Veronica do not have much new going on at this time. I think they are finally back in the groove of being back to our daily routine. I have to say though that I miss our lazy pj days at home. :(

Hope all is well with each of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment